Monday, October 25, 2010

Trains, Planes and Automobiles

After finding out the Vikings lost to the Packers, (yes, I got up for the game but was so tired I went back to sleep after the first quarter) we woke up and packed up our stuff. We checked out of our hostel at 10:00am. Jake for some reason wanted to see the Lion Monument again even though it was pouring out. So we took a long way to the train station and saw the lion. It was kind of a pain dragging all of our luggage around especially since everything was getting really wet. We then made our way to the train station. Our train didn’t leave until 12:10pm so we had some time to kill. We got lunch and sat at some tables outside the cafĂ© for about an hour. We went to the platform a little early and luckily our train was already sitting there so we got on board. I was happy because sitting in the train station was freezing! The train took us right to the Zurich Airport. The ride was about an hour so that wasn’t too bad. The airport was a lot bigger than I expected and the set up is really strange. There were to Check-in places and they were all spread apart. Of course the one we were supposed to go to was the last one we checked. When we got to the check-out counter no one was there to help us. It was the weirdest thing! We asked someone where we should go and he said “Come back in about 5 to 10 minutes and someone should be there”. I just couldn’t believe that they would all just leave at the same time. Well about 15 minutes later people came and we got to check in. Check in went well but of course my bag was too heavy! Why does this always happen to me? So I moved some things around and luckily the guy who helped us was really nice because it came to 11.4 kg when it was supposed to be 10 kg. It was also really nice because all four of us got seats next to each other. After that we followed the signs to our gate and it took us all over. We went through a passport thing which I wasn’t expecting and then we had to take a subway thing to our gate. It seemed really weird because we had been there so long and still hadn’t gone through security. After the subway ride we went through security. I absolutely hate going through security because all it is is a mad rush but everything went fine and we all go through without any problems. Then we headed to the gate and had about a 40 minute wait before we started boarding. I was glad my luggage fit in the over-head compartment because I didn’t want to have to check it and it is a rather large bag. A really funny thing happened on the plane. I fell asleep for a little bit and when I woke up it was 5:30. This worried me because our bus was supposed to leave at 6:15. So I told the guys and we were all getting worried and we thought it was weird because it didn’t even seem like the plane was on its way down yet. So Kevin went and asked one of the flight attendants and she said “We are going to land around 5:15pm.” There was a time change!!! I laughed so hard when we found that out! We were all really relieved. We landed at 5:05pm and going through customs was a breeze. We found Kate and Jeremy right away which was good and then we stopped to get a sandwich for dinner. It was nice we found Kate and Jeremy right away because they knew where the bus was and everything. We all got on the bus without any problems. The bus ride was about 3 hours and I pretty much slept the whole time. We got to the tourist center and headed to the hostel. We got a little twisted but found it without a problem. The hostel is nice and the lady at the desk was really helpful. Our group is pretty big with all eight of us but it all worked out well. We all paid and got our room keys and headed to the room. It was pretty much a maze trying to get to our room. So many hallways and stairs. It is so confusing! After we all got settled we went out to a bar right across the street. It was a really cool place called The Quay. It was really neat and had live music. I had my first real Irish Guinness! It was pretty tasty! Afterwards we went back to the hostel to try and plan out what to do tomorrow.  

3 comments:

  1. What a lot of traveling! I hope you get to land in Ireland for a few days to thoroughly check out the scene. Take a few pastoral photos so I can see Ireland the way I've always imagined it to be :) oh yeah, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Galway or Dublin? Either way - I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY - even starting to like beer - this is a life-changing journey. Have a wonderful time in Ireland.

    Erin go braugh!(OK so I really don't know what this means - but I'm sure it is something nice!)

    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete