Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away!

Hofkirche
We got kind of a slow start this morning but it ended up being ok because it was absolutely pouring when we woke up. We were all really sad because we planned on going up the big mountain which is called Mt. Pilatus. We took our time hoping it would clear up and made breakfast. The rain was not picking up so we decided against going up the mountain and tried to think of something else we could do. There was not much to do that wasn’t outside besides a museum but no one was really interested in going to that. After a while we just decided we had to go out and do something. We braved the rain and went to the Hofkirche which is a church. It was really pretty! I love going to churches (as you know!) and they had a really pretty cemetery. We walked down a couple roads we hadn’t been down and went in some souvenir shops. I bought a Switzerland and Luzern pin to add to my collection! I am really excited to put them on my backpack. It made me realize I have been to five different countries already on the trip which is just crazy! I am so lucky! After walking around a while we went and got some lunch at the same place we went to yesterday. It is generally cheap food so we went there again. Normally I wouldn’t worry so much about the price of something but it is crazy how expensive things are. A slice of Pizza was 7 francs which is about 8 U.S dollars. That is crazy! We all decided it was a good thing we weren’t spending our whole week in Switzerland because we would be broke! Although I would love to stay longer I don’t think anyone could afford it! The rain stopped for a little bit after lunch but we were out of ideas of things to do. We headed back to the hostel and it started to pour. :’( It is frustrating having the rain stopping you from doing something but it wouldn’t have been all that enjoyable. We contemplated still going up the mountain but we knew we wouldn’t be able to see much and it would be cold.  The boys took a nap and I started writing my blog. Then at 5:30 I left and went to church at the Hofkirche. It was a really nice mass and I think I actually understood it. It was very interesting because a woman gave the homily. I don’t know who she was but I know she was saying something about discrimination towards women. I wish I could have understood all of what she was saying. It was still pretty rainy out so we watched a movie and made hot dogs for dinner. This day was a little pathetic but it didn’t help that a lot of things were closed. On Sundays it is really difficult to find things that are open. It was still a lot of fun spending another day in this beautiful city. We have a big travelling day tomorrow so hopefully everything will go well! I am excited to get to Ireland!
Brady, Jake, Me and Kevin

2 comments:

  1. In the picture of the chuch it looks beautiful outside - blue sky! I'm confused...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I knew you would be confused. I just wanted to show what the church looked like and I thought a sunny picture was better!

    ReplyDelete