Thursday, September 2, 2010

This is going to be good!

My side of the room
This was the day I was so very nervous for and looking back on it, I have NO idea why! My whole group met at our dorms at 9:00am. Mom and Dad came with me and when we got there all of us were telling our travel stories. If was fun to hear about where everyone went. Although I was the only one lucky enough to have their parents along! We got our room keys and checked out our rooms. They are surprisingly really nice! It is just a dorm but we get our own bathrooms and a little kitcenette. (Bascially a kitchen in a closet that is not connected to our rooms). I do not have a roommate yet but I will be getting one sooner or later. The regualar semesters do not start until October so that is probably when my roommate will come. There are 4 different buildings and they are all really bright colors. I love it! I am in the orange building (I thought Lud would like that!). There are 6  people in my group in the same building so it is nice. Although the buildings are all right next to eachother so it doesnt really matter.

After everyone arrived and got settled, we set out to see the city! It is gorgeous! Everyone who told me Salzburg was the prettiest city was right. I am so lucky to be able to live here for four months! We walked around town and saw where we will be going to class and all the popular parts of the city. It is really nice that we got a bus pass as part of the program. We can take a bus anywhere in the city. Public transportation is not something I am used to so it will be interesting. Hopefully I can figure it out! Afterwards we had to fill some paperwork out and get our bedding. Which is not very nice. It is nice because it is brand new but it consisted of a tiny pillow and blanket. I might have to buy another blanket once winter rolls around. Then we got to be on our own for awhile. A big group of us went to the supermarket to get some things. It was kind of hard buying food when everything is in a different language! I didn't know what I was buying. haha! I just bought some essectials and I will probably go again when I meet back up with Mom and Dad and they can help me. Right now they are in Halstadt which is a small town about an hour from Salzburg. I hope the driving went well because I could tell Dad didn't want to drive. I'm sure Mom was excited to get rid of me because she finally got to put the top down.

Our group at the bar
After shopping we had a little down time. I took the time to unpack everything and get everything organized. It was nice. I had some music blaring so that always helps! Then I got ready and a big group of us went and got dinner. I have to say my group is great! They are tons of fun and we all get along really well! No one really knows each other all that well but it just seems to work. : D After dinner we of course hit up the bars. I had my first full Austrian beer in a bar! I am still trying to like beer but it is a slow process. I figure I can't be a Galowitz and not like beer! It just doesn't go together. Then we went to another bar which I liked a lot better. It had a better atmosphere with music and the bartender was really funny. We pretty much took up the whole place because we had a group of 13 people. It was a lot of fun! It is just so cool walking through the streets because it is so beautiful. Everything just has a great feel! I think I am going to love it!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like it!! The pictures make me what to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm so glad you're settled and enjoying everything. I was thinking about you yesterday, knowing you must've been very nervous. Looks like you're over it :)

    ReplyDelete