Thursday, September 23, 2010

Roommate, Religion, Rum and Rupertikirtag

This week has been pretty laid back but still a lot of fun! We had a big weekend and have a big weekend ahead of us so we decided to relax a bit. Which for our group is not saying much. Monday was a full day of classes so the group didn't do much. Tuesday I only had two classes and did some much needed grocery shopping. More noodles and sandwich makings. Yum! I really need some new ideas of what food to make. Tuesday was Megan P's birthday so we all went out. We were going to go back to the boat bar we went to before but they were closed. The night we went there they said they would be open for her birthday but of course they didn't remember. (I knew they wouldn't be open) And of course Megan was not happy. We ran into the bartender and she whined to him for like 5 minutes. If you can't tell this girl is not one of my favorites. She likes attention and she sure got it that night. It was fun going out together but it got a little too crazy. We have a couple people who get really drunk every time we go out which I somewhat expected but EVERY time they drink it is too far and it got really annoying. Everything was fine but a couple of us got frustrated and left earlier than we would have wanted to.

Rupertikertag
On Wednesday we had an extra class to go to. We had to make up for one of our art classes. It was kind of dumb because the professor was gone for a whole week and she is using up our free time for the class when it was her fault we didn't have the class at all. Now she is going to be gone for 3 weeks so we have to have 3 hour classes in October. I just dont think it is that fair but what can you do? It wasn't so bad because we went to a church in the middle of Salzburg called St. Peter's Church. It was beautiful! She pointed out different types of architecture which was pretty interesting. There was a poster that said they had a special service that night so a couple girls decided to go. After our little art field trip we walked around town because it was the start of Rupertikirtag. It is a big festival in Salzburg with a lot of lederhosen, beer and sausage. There are beer tents and rides. It is like any fair we have at home. We have been having really nice weather this week so its just nice walking around town. We had an hour before we had to get to our other class so Brady and I sat right along the river. It was beautiful! Great views of the city and I just kept thinking how lucky I am to be here. It was great! Later on Wednesday night a couple of us decided to go to the special church service they had at St. Peter's. It was probably one of the most beutiful services I have been to! They had great choral music and the church is just gorgeous! The whole service was of course in German but I could actually pick up a good amount of it. Of course you can tell what is going on just because I know the mass so well. It is so cool to me how universal religion is. Our culture is so different yet when I go to a church in another country it is completely the same. I think it is interesting to think about. After church we all agreed on how much better we felt. There has been some drama lately (so annoying!) so it was just great to relax in a beautiful church. After chuch we of course did the Austrian thing and went to a new bar which was recommended to us by the other bartender, Andreas. It was called the Havana Club. The girls who were annoyed the night before planned it and we invited everyone on the condition that they would not get as drunk as they did before. The bar was really cool and we had a great time! There were about 8 of us who went and it was perfect. The drinks we got there were really good! I had a drink called Oase and it was awesome! It had pineapple juice, orangejuice, banana something and rum. Overall it was a fun and relaxing night! Much better than what happend on Tuesday.

St Peter Church
Today has been an interesting day. I didn't have any class so I slept in. I woke up at 10 and got ready and good thing I did because my roommate came today! Luckily I was done getting dressed and everything. I just had a bad feeling she would come at a really bad time! haha! She is from Poland and guess what her name is? Ola! How crazy is that?! I never thought I would meet anyone by that name and now I know two people. She seems really nice but of course it was kind of quiet. It felt like freshmen year all over again but I'm sure it will get better as time goes on. I'm glad I don't have to keep wondering when my roommate will come. I quickly picked up all of my stuff that was in the room. It wasn't too bad I just had stuff all over the kitchen and bathroom but nothing on her side of the room. In the afternoon a big group of us went into town to see more of Rupertikirtag. I have no idea how to pronounce it but we have all been saying Ruper-teeker-tag which is totally wrong! haha! We sat in the beer tent for a little while which was fun because they have typical German music playing. Everyone said it couldn't even compare to Oktoberfest but it was still fun. There were a ton of people and I like to see everyone in their Dirndls and Lederhosen. Tonight a group is going out to dinner and then going to bed early. We have to be at the train station at 6:20am! It is going to be crazy! We will definitely all be sleeping on the train ride to Oberammergau. There is definitely another place I would rather be this weekend but I am sure I will still have fun. 

Everyone have a great time on Saturday! I will be thinking of all of you and I can't wait to hear all about it! 

CONGRATS KRISTIN AND PHIL!!  : ) 

4 comments:

  1. What an exciting time for all of us - we'll all have great memories to share - you are taking us on this beautiful Austrian journey - and we will make sure you feel like you are with us on this beautiful wedding journey.

    The Passion of Christ - in Oberammergau - another international bucket list item....enjoy.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Ola, huh? That is pretty crazy. When I got my hair cut in London the woman's name was Ola too - maybe it's not as unique as we initially thought. The church looks beautiful, funny how some time for prayer and quietness can make you feel better. Nick, I am so envious you are going to Oberammergau...absolute once-in-a-lifetime experience. Enjoy every moment! We miss you but we know you're have the time of your life.

    Ich liebe dich <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nickie,

    I'm so glad that roommate mystery is finally revealed! A Polish student?! Super sweet. Maybe if you befriend her you'll get to see Poland too - all just a train ride away... Oberammergau - that's the place with all the houses that have stories depicted on them. Awesome! I'm sure you'll have a blast and learn fun facts.

    I am sorry to hear about group drama, definitely not cool. It seems those trips are often riddled with strange group dynamics including the drama and the hook-ups.

    We'll miss you on Saturday! I'm sure we'll all post photos for you :) I think of you often and am still digging the blog! Send me some times you usually have down time and we could try to Skype.

    Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nick! Wish you were here! I'm so glad you're having such a great time and love reading about your experiences!

    Love ya!
    ~ Kristin

    ReplyDelete